Drepung Loseling

Drepung Loseling Monastery

Drepung Loseling Monastery, South India
Drepung Loseling Monastery, South India

The original Drepung Monastery with its two colleges, Loseling and Gomang, was established in Tibet in 1416 by Jamyang Choje. Following the destruction of monasteries by the Chinese in the late 1950s, a number of monks managed to escape to India. Ven. Geshe Damcho Yonten was one of these.

In 1971, the Indian government generously donated land in southern India to house the Tibetan refugees – both the lay and the ordained community. Drepung Monastery, comprising the colleges of Loseling and Gomang, was one of these.

The colleges include a large number of houses called khangtsens. It was the tradition that individual houses were associated with monks from particular geographical areas in Tibet. Gya House is where Ven. Geshe Damcho Yonten came from.

Gya House

The New Gya House, Dec 2005
The New Gya House, Dec 2005

At the end of 2005, Gya House was completely rebuilt on a new patch of land with accommodation for 28 monks, a prayer hall, kitchen and courtyard. The total cost of the house (£50,000) was raised through Dharma Therapy Trust from the Lam Rim Centres and individuals.

Dharma Therapy Trust is a registered charity (no. 290756) that was established in 1984 by the two nuns that brought Ven. Geshe Damcho Yonten to the UK: Ven. Ani Tsultrim and her mother, Ven Wangchuk Palmo. One of its main aims is to support the Tibetan monastic community

Lam Rim Bristol Trust and Dharma Therapy Trust send regular donations to Gya House. There is ongoing maintenance and support of the community that needs support. Several attendees at the Lam Rim Centres have sponsored individual monks over the years.

This page last updated on

Comments are closed.